Monday, May 14, 2007

MLS Players Have Moms, Too

Some MLS players talk about their "soccer moms":

Herculez Gomez, Colorado Rapids forward: "I was well known in high school, so opponents were very aggressive with me. My mom was very vocal after every foul and would yell at the opposing players. She's the main reason I'm able to block out opposing fans now."

Steve Ralston, New England Revolution midfielder: "I didn't want to go to practice one time when I was about 13 because I wanted to stay and play with my friends around the house. My mom said, 'Play out the season and then see how you feel.' I used the same line with my daughter the other day."

Chad Barrett, Fire forward: "Every game since I was 7 or 8, no matter what the stakes were, I could always hear my mom yell, 'Go Chaddy' at the top of her lungs. I hate being called Chaddy. I told her to stop it, but she would say, 'Sorry, it just comes out.' She's coming for the game June 9 and I'm going to put her in the nose-bleed seats."

Jeff Cunningham, Real Salt Lake forward: "My mom is very blunt. She told my girlfriend in college she needs to cover herself up and wear more clothes—and that was her first time meeting her. That's my mom. She doesn't know what she's saying sometimes, but she has good intentions. … I appreciate every moment I spend with my mom."

More mom stories here.

1 comment:

Bill Graber said...

Loved the Chad Barrett quote... my mom used to do that to me at surf competitions... she would call me 'binky'(dont ask) and I wanted her to sit in the car.